The GL314 is designed to give Linux administrators experience with both common and uncommon system problems. The course is based on the idea that the best way to learn troubleshooting is to perform troubleshooting. Approximately 25% of class time is spent on lecture, leaving 75% for intensive lab content. Class starts with a discussion of effective troubleshooting technique. Tools and topics are gradually introduced over the course of the week. Students practice applying these tools and techniques in self-paced labs.
Students can choose from over 120 scenarios organized by topic and difficulty. Because each scenarios is independent of the others, students can choose scenarios according to their interests and experience. Each scenario is designed to help students develop deeper understanding while exploring the problem. All scenarios includes optional hints designed to reflect a realistic troubleshooting process while only gradually revealing the solution. Students find the flexibility and challenge of this course very rewarding
This course is designed for intermediate to advanced users. Students should have already taken the GL120, GL250 and GL275, or have equivalent knowledge. A short refresher for each topic will be presented, but will not be discussed in depth.